Sunday, March 25, 2012

Setting up shop (metaphorically speaking, of course)

It's been about month since I got myself my lovely sewing machine. After trying out a few stitches on some old T-shirts that were going to be thrown out anyway (and getting a bit of T-shirt scrap so horribly tangled that the machine ate it and I had to call my husband to help me figure out a way to get the material out), the machine pretty much stayed mostly untouched on its temporary perch at the end of the dining table.

Until now...
My little sewing corner currently consists of a desk, a swivel chair with wheels, a couple of magazine holders for my sewing books and a paper bag holding cloth I bought from Jakel in Masjid India

I finally got round to visiting Ikea to get myself a table and chair to set up a proper workspace a few days ago and managed to put them together yesterday. And this morning I finally got a chance to work on a small project at a sewing designated area. The table and chair came up to just under RM500 but the satisfaction of having this area is priceless.

The view I have from my sewing corner - my mum-in-law has her plants at the front and the TV can keep me company if i need a break from sewing

It's fantastic to have a proper area to work on my sewing - the first chapter in the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook discusses setting up a sewing space. Though there are some lovely ideas I'd love to incorporate later on, a good table and chair are all I need now.

I found the drawers to be handy for keeping small items and supplies. The desk is also long enough to hold my books and a couple of old T-shirts I use for practising stitches.
I'm thinking of getting a transparent box or something for cloth - one for the new uncut ones and another smaller one for scraps of material that might come in useful for future projects.

While working on my first project (which I will get to in a bit), I still ended up using the dining table and the floor as surfaces to cut my fabric and running to my room to press it in the process of sewing. Ah well, this is just the beginning, after all. Details can be ironed out as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment