Saturday, February 25, 2012

My new toy

Alrighty, so I've hit the online blogs and sites on sewing, joined a sewing group on Facebook (where I was promptly intimidated by how advanced the other members were and kept mum) and bought a few books on sewing.

You can guess what my next step was ... my first ever sewing machine - the INNOV-IS 30 by Brother (also known as the NV30)!

My precioussss...
I'm really excited about this one. I bought this baby at LSN, a sewing machine company I had heard of from the sewing group. The shop offers classes too, but it will sms me when the next one comes up. I was so excited about getting the machine I completely forgot to get a picture of a shop itself (which, ironically, I had reminded myself to do just before I got out of the car!).

I had initially thought of getting the simpler, XL-2630 (it's a mechanical one that can do 57 stitches) but the shop did not have stock of this (and I was really keen on getting a machine today). The shop assistant showed me the next step up, the electronic range of Brother sewing machines - NV10, NV30 and NV50.

I was not too keen on the NV10 as it has fewer stitches than the mechanical one so I went with the NV30 (which can do 70 stitches, including single-step button holes and special stitches!) after a demonstration. At RM1,299, it's RM500 pricier than the one I was intending to get but it's so worth it - I finally have a sewing machine!

Okay, on to the great unveiling:

Stitch guide, power cable, foot pedal, instruction manual, quick reference sheet and hard carrying case
The shop assistant had told me there was an instructional DVD included with the instruction manual but there isn't. I checked the Brother website and the manual - no mention of such a disc so I'm not concerned about its absence. That's what YouTube and reference materials (thankfully the manual also provides some good details).

Seven types of feet, a seam ripper, clear plastic bobbins, a needle set, twin needles, and other bits
The lovely little bits that come with the machine - all the feet I would need for the stitches this machine can do are included, along with a bunch of other things. Altogether, it looks like everything directly related to the machine is included. 
  
Such a thing of beauty, can't wait to test this out

Now all I need is thread, some material (to practise on and then to start doing a project on) and a project to work on. Oh yes, because the machine is now sitting on one end of the dining table, a proper table for sewing would be on my shopping list in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment