Saturday, February 25, 2012

Useful reading material

 As excited as I am about my new venture, I hate jumping into anything without first some research - and something as foreign to me as sewing calls for some MAJOR studying.

Googling "sewing", or something along those lines, yields results that number in the millions - pretty daunting. I figured that the good old book is still the best for trying to learn the basics, and as easy references. I think there are still some pretty good sites out there that deal with sewing (but will leave that for another post).

The following are what I have collected in my first few trips to the bookshops (MPH in Bangsar Village, Borders in Bangsar Village and Kinokuniya). Of course, as this is just the beginning, I have not read the books in full and am reading bits and pieces from all of them at the same time. My comments below are my initial thoughts of these references:
MPH, Bangsar Village
This was the first book I picked up because the it provides pretty good information on things related to the sewing machine, such as parts of the sewing machine, which types of needles that are suitable for which fabrics and the types of feet you should use for various stitches (includes loads of colour photographs - which I love - demonstrating how to do the stitches, too).
Borders, Bangsar Village
I had picked this book up without realising that Simplicity is actually a big company dealing with all things related to sewing, from patterns for clothes to materials, etc. I like this one because it provides a pretty comprehensive list of things a newbie needs (or might want) and provides helpful diagrams of how to take proper measurements and cutting patterns, for instance. It also has handy tabs for flipping to a particular topic quickly.
 
Kinokuniya
I had actually heard of BurdaStyle from a friend who is sewing enthusiast. This book goes into the process of making a dress (or top, skirt, jacket, etc) from reading the pattern to cutting it, testing it and sewing it. It also provides several projects that the reader can try out (and some patterns in a neat pocket at the back of the book). Altogether, this looks promising, though I'll only be able to gauge how easy it is to follow the instructions after I actually start sewing.
Kinokuniya
While The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible, which I bought first, is good for learning about the different extras I can use for creating different stitches, The Sewing Machine Classroom is fantastic for getting to know the actual sewing machine. It, again, has lots of lovely colour photographs and instructions that show things such as types of threads and needles, among others.
MPH, Bangsar Village
My latest acquisition: not as many colourful pictures in this one; but there are lots of snippets of advice from people who sew that cover topics from sewing gear and setting up a sewing room to sewing, fitting and finishing. I like the fact that the tips are organised in short, clear paragraphs - it makes for quick and easy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment