Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Step 1: New beginnings

Books to get started.
Okay, so I decided to take up sewing, which is what brings me here. As this is a new project I'm embarking on, I hope to chart my progress via this blog. 

I figure I will kill a few birds with one stone this way. I will (ideally): 1) get to write what I want (which is different from the writing I do for work); 2) get to practise photography (and finally learn how to use the Nikon DSLR camera I bought from a friend a year ago); and 3) stay committed to this new hobby (my current sewing skills are limited to some light alteration work - i.e. fixing a tear in my pants or something like that).

A little on where I'm coming from: I neither liked nor saw the value in sewing as a kid. I hated Home Ec because of the sewing component in the syllabus. The only exception was when I did a tie-dye project for school (I didn't mind sewing then because it was related to art, which I loved). 

In the past few years, though, my perspective on sewing changed. I met people who not only like sewing but do wonders with it - homemade bags, cloth toys and dolls, and individual pieces of clothing. I have admired and "ooh"-ed and "aah"-ed over what these ladies can do but did not think much about doing anything myself.

But the notion to take it up happened somewhere along the way (the fact that I can no longer find clothes of my liking in my size and at a price I'm happy with also helped with this decision) and recently, it's all I can really think about. So I decided to do something about it.

I'm part of a closed sewing group (although at this point I'm still a silent member as I haven't got anything to contribute to the discussions), have started looking things up online and have invested in a few sewing books and am deciding on a sewing machine to get to start my sewing adventures.

Ooh, this is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment